By Haley Johnson | Date Posted: 4/12/19 | Jump To Comments
Micro Moments 101: What Are They And How Do I Optimize My Website For Them?
Micro moments are growing in importance to marketing – particularly in mobile advertising. Due to the increased prevalence of mobile computing and smartphones, more customers than ever are turning to their phones when they need to make a decision.
In this article, we’ll take a look at micro moments: we’ll define them, help you understand their importance and discuss a few ways you can optimize your website for this trending consumer behavior. Let’s get started!
What Is A Micro Moment?
To help define micro moments, let’s take a look at a few “Micro Moment” examples:
- You are in a new city. You’re looking for a great restaurant. You pull out your smartphone, enter “Best Seafood in Daytona Beach” into your search bar and not only find somewhere to eat, but will be given several options.
- You have friends coming over for the Super Bowl. You have all of the basic ingredients to make guacamole but don’t have a recipe. You just grab your phone, enter “quick guacamole recipe” and get all the information you need with just a few taps on your screen.
- You are shopping for a new blender. You find one that is on sale at the store – but you’re not sure if it’s high-quality. You Google the model, read a few customer reviews and find out that it tends to overheat with prolonged use. From this information, you make the decision to buy a different blender instead.
These are micro moments – the times when we act upon a need and use our smartphones to help us get the information to make a quick decision about that need. They are important because, more than in the past, this is how we interact with media and the internet – in dozens or hundreds of quick bursts throughout the day, rather than prolonged browsing sessions.
How Can I Optimize My Website For Micro Moments?
So, how can you make sure your website is prepared for a world based on micro moment web browsing? Here are a few simple and easily-actionable tips.
- Mobile-friendliness – Obviously, a mobile-friendly website is essential. You can’t have visitors fumbling with your website just to read your content – they’ll simply leave and choose a mobile-optimized site instead.
- Easy navigation – Your visitors must be able to clearly see the information on your website and navigate easily to find out more about your products, locations, services and other details.
- Clear contact information – It should always be easy for a website visitor to see more information about your location and how to contact you for more information. Depending on your type of business, a ‘click to call’ button is a great feature, as it prompts the user to make contact in that moment.
- Focus on SEO – To have a shot at these “micro moments,” your website must be properly optimized for SEO – so that your business appears when online users are performing one of these quick searches.
Interested In Learning More? Contact Sprout Media Lab Right Away!
At Sprout Media Lab, we’re experts in micro moment marketing and mobile design – and we can help you optimize your marketing and advertising strategy! To learn more, give us a call at (800) 617-6975 or visit us online now!