By Haley Johnson | Date Posted: 2/25/19 | Jump To Comments
Top Tips to Keeping Your Keywords Fresh for Strong SEO Results
Finding the right keywords is a critical part of all successful SEO campaigns. Having said that, it’s essential as a small business owner to continually update and refresh your keywords lists, so your website will continue to rank well and see success.
Today, it’s harder than ever to optimize your keyword list because Google continues to change things here and there. However, it’s far from impossible, and these tips will help you pick and choose the right keywords for your website.
Don’t Neglect Mobile Keywords
Searching on mobile devices means there are different behaviors at play. For example, most people shorten their search terms on mobile because it’s quicker and they don’t want to type out a full sentence using their phone. So, “Italian restaurant near me” is much easier to search then, “Where is the closest Italian Restaurant to me?”
If you want to optimize your keyword list, make sure you include popular mobile search terms along with the more conventional ones.
Think About The Buyer’s Journey
When a person buys something online, they move through the following journey:
- Awareness: This is when customers become aware of an issue and then search for ways to solve it. As an example, many people type in questions related to a product or service, so be sure to match your keywords to common questions related to your product or service.
- Consideration: Here, customers may know what the solution to their problem is and they’re digging deeper to find the best one. Focus on keywords that include a term such as, ‘best’ or ‘top rated’ and ‘most affordable.’
- Decision: Finally, the customer is ready to make a purchase! This is when you will want to include keywords ranging from ‘buy’ and ‘order’ to ‘download’ or ‘opt-in’ and so on.
If you focus on the buyer’s journey, you can craft your copy and content specifically targeted for each stage for optimal performance while also throwing up some new keywords to hone in on.
Carry Out an Audit
An SEO keyword audit is the most effective way of looking at which keywords will work best for you, and which ones you should just ditch. It’s beneficial as you essentially get a second opinion from someone with absolutely no link to your business.
When deciding on which keywords to use, it’s easy to become attached to certain ones while you completely ignore others. A careful audit will ensure that you add the best to your list.
Include Long-tail Keywords
Long-tail keywords are essentially short phrases or thoughts that people input into a search engine such as Google. There are two main reasons you need to include them on your keywords list:
- Most voice searches revolve around them
- They’re commonly used in the ‘Awareness’ stage of the buyer’s journey
If you ignore long-tail keywords, you cut down on millions of searches every single day – especially ones done via voice search. With things like the Amazon Echo and Siri, more people are speaking into devices to ask questions.
So, we end up with an influx of searches including long-tail keywords, which you need to add to your list to optimize it for 2019 and beyond.
When it comes to optimizing your keyword list, these are our top tips that will help you reach the best potential clients who may be searching for you right now.
If you’re looking for additional help with SEO, keyword research or digital marketing, then please contact Sprout Media Lab today by filling out our contact form or by calling (800) 617-6975. We have what it takes to elevate your website to the top ranking spots in order to build a successful online presence and stay there.